There is nothing I enjoy more than camping with my family and friends! Being surrounded by nature, loved ones, great conversation around the campfire, and especially great food are moments that I wouldn’t trade for anything! But lets be honest, there are only so many hot dogs you can roast and only so many marshmallows you can eat before you have had enough. So before this years camp out I am on the lookout for some new recipes to try.
I have come across one for breakfast that looks easy enough for me and filling for the entire gang. The Dutch Oven Mountain Man Breakfast provided by all cooks.com is the first one on my list that we are going to attempt. Wish us luck! I will let you know how it turns out.
- 1 pound mild pork sausage (such as Jimmy Dean®)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (2 pound) package frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
- 12 eggs, beaten
- 1 (16 ounce) package shredded Cheddar cheese
- Build a campfire and allow the fire to burn until it has accumulated a bed of coals.
- Cook and stir the sausage, onion, and garlic in a 12-inch cast iron Dutch oven with lid, raised over the coals to medium-high heat, until the sausage is no longer pink and the onion is tender. Stir in the red bell pepper, green bell pepper, and hash brown potatoes until evenly mixed. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the hash browns are hot and the peppers are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Pour the beaten eggs evenly over the top of the potatoes, allowing them to sink into the potatoes. Cover the Dutch oven, and place 6 to 9 coals underneath, and 12 to 18 on top. Allow to bake until the eggs are firm, about 40 minutes. Sprinkle with Cheddar cheese, cover, and continue cooking until the cheese has melted, about 5 minutes.
UTVCabEnclosures.com would love to hear from you! Let us know what tastey recipes you have for your camp outs. Don’t forget to check us out before your next trip for all of your UTV needs. We have many great cabs and accessories for all of the major UTV brands!